Sierra Charlie Aviation has a serious passion for aviation, a superb track record for training the safest, most competent pilots in the country, and a commitment to providing a fun family atmosphere that energizes every student and contributes to his or her success.
We are proud to be an approved Cessna Pilot Center (CPC), a designation only a limited number of flight schools have achieved. Cessna Pilot Centers have taught more pilots to fly than any other type of flight school in the country.
Whether your heart is set on a prosperous aviation career, or you intend to fly just for the fun of it, our FAA 14 CFR Part 61 training program will help you make more efficient use of your time on the ground and in the airplane and can be customized to fit your work/school schedule.
In our state-of-the-art training facilities, our team of expert flight instructors will help you earn your Private Pilot License in an accelerated timeframe, or move at a pace that best suits your learning style, all in top-of-the-line aircraft.
REQUIREMENTS FOR A PRIVATE PILOT LICENSE
Federal regulations stipulate the following requirements:
- Be at least 16 years old to solo.
- Be at least 17 years old to obtain a Private Pilot License (PPL).
- Be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Be able to obtain at least a 3rd Class Medical Certificate.
- Receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor.
- Accumulate and log a specified amount of flight time from an authorized instructor.
- Pass an FAA Written Knowledge Test.
- Pass a Practical Test consisting of both an oral examination and a flight test during what is called a “checkride.”
Flight training consists of two main components – ground school and flight instruction – and Sierra Charlie Aviation will provide the strong foundational knowledge and skills you need.
In ground school, students learn information that all pilots need to know, such as basic aerodynamics, FAA regulations, aircraft systems, navigation, weather avoidance, stall/spin awareness, and radio communications.
Sierra Charlie Aviation provides group ground school to help you save on the cost of training. The 8-week program offers classes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Flight instruction consists of three stages:
- Pre-Solo & Flight Maneuvers: Students learn the fundamentals of flying, including normal aircraft operating procedures, flight maneuvers, and how to handle basic emergencies. Once the instructor deems you safe, you will conduct your first solo flight.
- Cross-Country Flight & Night Flight: You will learn the skills required for planning and executing cross country flights and be exposed to a variety of conditions, such as flying at night and in and out of different types of airports/airspace.
- Test Prep & Checkride: We will help you put together everything you have learned and practice any weak areas to ensure that you are prepared and confident to successfully complete your FAA test and checkride, and apply for your Private Pilot License.
The PPL is a “License to Learn” and is the starting point for students who have higher aviation goals. Once you’ve earned your certificate, you will probably want to take the next logical step – an Instrument Flight Rating.
No matter what you decide, your Private Pilot License will give you the freedom to set off on flying adventures with your friends and family. The sky’s the limit!!