How to Become a Pilot
Learn how to become a pilot from the experts at Sierra Charlie Aviation in Scottsdale, AZ, a winner of AOPA Flight Training Excellence Awards in 2016 and 2017 as one of the top flight schools in the country.
Who is Sierra Charlie Aviation?
Sierra Charlie Aviation is a certified Cessna Pilot Center (CPC), a specially selected flight school that represents top-quality, professional flight training. Only a limited number of flight schools achieve approval as Cessna Pilot Centers from the Cessna Aircraft Company, the world leader in General Aviation.
We operate under FAA 14 CFR Part 61 rules. Our program is simpler than a FAR Part 141 program. It is ideal for students who are not available for full-time flight training, or need a more customizable program to help them reach their goals.
Our team of Certified Flight Instructors (CFIs) has extensive piloting experience—from corporate, to World War II aircraft demonstration, to bush piloting in Alaska – giving them exceptional ability to teach and a capacity to diversify training based on the individual needs of our students.
Owner and Chief Flight Instructor Scott Campbell (CFI, MEI) has been recognized by AOPA in 2017 as the Best Flight Instructor in the Southwest Region, and Senior Flight Instructor Tom DeYoung (CFI, CFII) is one of three instructors in the region to be recognized as a Distinguished Flight Instructor.
Who Can Become a Private Pilot?
To become a pilot, you must meet these FAA requirements:
- Be at least 17 years of age to obtain a license (but can start training earlier);
- Be able to read, write, and converse fluently in English;
- Pass a routine medical examination;
- Receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor;
- Pass a multiple-choice written knowledge test;
- Receive a minimum of 40 hours of flight instruction and solo flight time (FAR Part 61) or 35 hours (FAR Part 141);
- Successfully complete a checkride, which includes an oral and flight examination given by an FAA inspector or Designated Pilot Examiner (DPE).
Why Choose a Cessna Pilot Center?
Choosing a Cessna Pilot Center like Sierra Charlie Aviation enables you to take advantage of Cessna’s 75 years of experience in training most of the world’s pilots to fly.
- Learn to fly with highly trained, professional flight instructors in less time than other programs.
- Follow the Cessna-approved computer-based curriculum which stresses safety.
- Learn the most up-to-date concepts in state-of-the-art training facilities.
- Train in new Cessna Skyhawk 172 aircraft that have strict maintenance requirements.
- Cover each task that will be tested by an FAA examiner.
- Enjoy exceptional customer services and aviation insurance to protect you throughout your training.
No matter your ultimate goal – recreational flying or a career in aviation – it all starts with obtaining your Private Pilot License.
Learn more about how to become a pilot by giving Sierra Charlie Aviation a call at (480) 474-4115. We love to get new pilots in the air!